Saturday 1 January 2011

Living Forever


One important quality about Bengali food is that it is healthy. I say this because my grandmother lived until she was 110 and my mother is currently 98. My recipes were adapted from my grandmother who was a wonderful cook. In Bangladesh, everything was organic. In the 1940s and 50s, we grew our own vegetables, fished at the local river and made all dishes from scratch. It is this fresh and healthy quality of food that has resulted in longevity in my family. The key to Bengali food is to create it without much oil, to concentrate on the combination of spices and to ensure its not too rich.

Until 6 months ago, my mother was still doing her own house work. At the grand old age of 98, she decided to relax a bit but continues to have her favourite roshogolla daily. Back when she was 70 years old, she would make us all coconut narroos [ coconut sweets].

Anyway, Roshogolla is my mother's favourite sweet. Here is a simple recipe for it and in time, I will publish my own version which is very tasty. Perhaps that her key to long life. We all hope she makes it to 110 like her mother.


0 comments:

Post a Comment